Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Change Is Happening; Always.

When I was in preschool our class sprouted bean plants;
We set a dry bean on a wet paper towel and carefully placed it in a ziplock bag.
Over the course of a week we watched the progress of the bean.
The first night I could hardly sleep;
I was anxious to return to the classroom to see my new bean plant.
Alas, I arrived the following morning to the same light brown bean––no change.
The second day I had a similar reaction.
By day three, I believed I could see the side of my bean splitting; still not the result I was expecting.
Every day I carefully monitored the bean––and was in agony over how long the process was taking.
By the end of the week, I was on my way to school and I had given up hope of seeing a dramatic difference in the bean.
To my surprise (and satisfaction) the bean was completely transformed overnight!
There was long light green sprout which curled back on itself, and several little roots.
The bean experiment is the perfect reminder for life:
Change is happening constantly.
As an adult I realize that bean didn’t sprout over night.
Every second there was change.  The beans exterior was softening.  The embryo was forming. However it would not have been able to penetrate the beans surface if the outer shell of the bean was not ready.
It sometimes feels otherwise; but my life is constantly evolving.
The energy I spend writing, reading, meditating, exercising, working, and creating are helping me transform.
I cannot expect to see results over night;
but if I’m patient, I will experience a lifetime of joy.

No comments: