Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Losing Ego

The idea of letting go of material possessions has never been that difficult for me.  Perhaps it is because I have a sister who is a borderline hoarder.
(I mean that with as much love and support possible while recognizing the truth.)
Growing up, I watched her put so much energy into the memory or an object;
Whereas I’m the opposite, I put equal weight into the idea of a goal.

As I read, A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle, I’m discovering that I too was attaching to possessions––mine just happened to be ideas.

Generally, I’ve been the type of person who forces myself to move on:
From jobs when I feel they’ve served their purpose,
Friendships that no longer serve the wellbeing of either party,
Televisions shows that have run their course,
Fad diets that stop working,
You get the point.

The pain from loss is intense, and secretly there is a part of me that enjoys the discomfort––which is why I challenge myself to let go of previously mentioned circumstances.

Now I’m focused on how much I will hold onto an idea––even if it no longer serves me.  A powerful question (from Tolle’s book) has enticed my mind to rethink loss:

“Has who you are become diminished by the loss?”

I’ve never been afraid of dropping jobs or friendships because I’ve never felt less-than by releasing them.  Yet, I’ll hold onto an idea (even if it’s no longer important) for fear of feeling inadequate.
I’m ready to release the ego in order to make room for new opportunities.

No comments: