Friday, January 1, 2016

Hello 2016

There is nothing more intoxicating than a blank page in a fresh new journal.
For some, especially writers, that empty space is overwhelming;
I see it as an opportunity to reinvent my story.
An empty canvas––the only expectation, to imagine the possibilities.
I’ve always been that guy who sets goals, both attainable and lofty dreams that seem impossible, which provide a brilliant challenge for me.
In my twenties I spent too much time focusing on hitting the target, and didn’t appreciate the path through the woods––with unexpected obstacles; at the time I considered them roadblocks, now I realize they were challenges that helped me fine-tune my shot.
In my early thirties I refined my approach.  I focused my energy and harnessed my efforts in order to soak in the sunlight that beams down along the trail.
Now, I’m expanding my ideas.
I’m less concerned with hitting specific career goals, and more determined to seek happiness in the daily journey.
Human nature tells me to continue wanting; no matter how out of reach the goal might be, once I’ve accomplished it––like a junkie looking for the next fix, I need more!
I’m ready to break that cycle.  Not that I believe there’s anything wrong with aspiring to achieve new heights, but I’d rather splendor in the moment rather than constantly fight to feel happiness through achievements.
I have never defined my success based on a job or dollar amount, still I fall victim to the mindset that “it” will never be enough.
“If I could just sell this book, then I’ll be happy.”
So as I face the bright empty glow of cotton card-stock, I set in motion a new plan.  I will embrace each day with light and fearlessness, and as I work to accomplish new goals––I will stay present and be thankful for the challenge each new day brings; without stress or doubt.  Every roadblock is conditioning me for the next adventure.

No comments: