Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Election Day

Election day always reminds me of my Gram Shaffer and my grandpa Smith.
My Gram was an extremely active woman in our community.  She never needed to push an agenda, but had a magnificent way of encouraging anyone who she came in contact with of their right and responsibility to be involved in the world they live.
My grandpa continues to be an activist.  He served as the County Commissioner in his town, and I'm proud to say that during my first election in 1996- I was able to vote for him!
Ever since- I have been eager to research and elect people that I believe really want to make a difference in public office.
Naturally it's easy to become agitated or repulsed by career politicians and the media pushing agendas on either side of the aisle.
But a voice inside of me remembers that we are fortunate to live in a country where we have the right to speak up and vote.
Whether you think your vote matters or not- we need to remember that there are so many places in the world where citizens are not free and don't even have the option to submit their "illusion of a choice" so I never take for granted my obligation as a proud citizen of the United States of America.
#RockTheVote!

No comments: